in

What Is Omphalotus Illudens? 10 Facts You Will Not Find Anywhere On The Internet

Omphalotus Illudens
Image Sources reddit

Omphalotus illudens or jack o’lantern mushroom has orange color, large size, and commonly found grown on decaying stumps, hardwood tree bases, and roots buried under the soil.

This mushroom belongs to and found in abundance in eastern side of North America.

Quick information: This yellow jack o’lantern mushroom is not an edible mushroom like the blue oyster but poisonous like its sibling yellow Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.

Still, this mushroom is cultivated and collected on larger levels in all over the world, due to rare quality of beaming in the dark, but is it a myth or reality?

Read this and 10 more facts about jack o lantern mushrooms you never knew before:

Table of Contents

10 Omphalotus Illudens Facts You Never Knew Before:

1. Omphalotus illudens or jack o-lantern glows at night in green or blue colors.

The actual color of Omphalotus illudens is orange but exhibits a bioluminescence in blue-green color.

It is not easy to observe, and to have an experience of this glowing in the dark mushroom, you will have to sit for a little while in the dark, so your eyes become dark adapted.

This mushroom glows to attract the insects for the dispersion of their spores.

2. Omphalotus illudens can Bioluminescence can stay for as long as 40 to 50 hours.

The entire Omphalotus illudes mushroom doesn’t glow only its gills glow in the dark. (To find about the parts of mushroom click here.)

Bioluminescence is only observed in fresh specimens and Omphalotus illudens can stay fresh for 40 to 50 hours after it is picked.

It means, you can bring the celebration home, place them in the dark room, and observe the glowing mushrooms.

3. Omphalotus illudens is maybe a spirit mushroom who visits earth on Halloween.

Omphalotus illudens is called jack o’lantern mushroom not just because it glows in the dark but also because it only sprouts when the Halloween season comes.

It is a common fall mushroom and you can find it sprouting on the dead tree stumps and branches.

4. Omphalotus illudens have extremely sweet smell that attracts insects.

Along with the light, the smell of Omphalotus illudens mushroom is very sweet and fresh.

This smell attracts not just the humans but insects as well.

Insects when visit the jack o’lantern mushroom, it attaches its spores with the feet, legs, or body of the insects.

By doing so it spreads its growth in the entire surroundings.

This is how jack o’lantern mushroom increases its growth.

5. Omphalotus illudens Is a poisonous mushroom.

Omphalotus illudens is not an edible mushroom at all.

It is poisonous and can cause severe medical emergency if consumed.

Humans are not recommended to eat it raw, cook it, or roast it.

These mushrooms are not edible and cause muscle cramps, diarrhea, or vomiting in humans.

6. Omphalotus illudens looks quite similar to chanterelles.

When it comes to comparing jack o’lantern mushroom vs chanterelle we find:

Chanterelles is edible like chestnut mushroom and found in orange, yellow, or white color, shaped similar to Omphalotus illudens.

However, they are both different where chanterelle is edible while jack o’lantern mushroom is avoidable from eating to keep from issues like diarrhea and vomiting etc.

7. Omphalotus illudens has antibacterial properties and used in medicines to treat cancer.

Omphalotus illudens is enriched with antifungal and antibacterial enzymes.

These enzymes can only be extracted by experts and then used in the making of medicines.

Therefore, despite having such properties, eating raw or cooked, this mushroom is not recommended as it can cause severe stomach and body disturbance.

8. Omphalotus illudens can have different color or appearance geographically.

Omphalotus illudens is the eastern north American mushroom.

It doesn’t grow on the western side of America. Omphalotus olivascens is western American type of jack o’lantern mushroom but it has slightly olive shade mixed with orange.

In Europe, Omphalotus olearius is found that has a slightly darker cap.

9. Omphalotus illudens was first named as Clitocybe illudens.

Botanist-mycologist Lewis David von Schweinitz introduced jack o’lantern mushroom and named it as Clitocybe illudens.

10. Eating Omphalotus illudens will not kill you.

In case of misunderstanding, if Omphalotus illudens is consumed accidently, it will not kill you.

However, some stomach disturbances and muscle cramps such as pain inside some parts of the body can occur.

Vomiting can also occur if someone accidently eats or consumes Omphalotus illudens. In this case, it is recommended to immediately meet the physician.

However, if you have curious kids in your home and jack o’lantern mushrooms grown nearby, it is necessary to get rid of them.

As kids’ immune system is not stronger to bear the side effects if they consumed this mushroom accidently.  But if you need glowing mushrooms, bring glowing mushroom by Inspire Uplift.

How To Get Rid of Omphalotus Illudens?

Mushrooms are kind of weeds. There are several ways to get rid of weed, fungus, or mushrooms in your garden.

  1. You will have to dig in deep on the ground
  2. Bring out the whole mushroom including the roots
  3. Spray the dug hole with anti-fungus liquid

For more information, check our complete guide on how to prepare home weed killer.

Once you get rid of the Omphalotus illudens, make sure to keep it from coming back. For this, follow the following three steps:

  1. Do not let the decaying leaves or stumps stay on the ground
  2. Do not let cats and dogs, poo around the tree roots.
  3. Do not throw away peels of eaten plants or vegetables in your garden

Bottom Line:

This is all about Omphalotus illudens mushroom. Do you have any more questions or feedback? Let us know by commenting below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *